Saturday, December 27

New York: A nous deux, maintenant

A week later, ITM is in full coping mode after the Teixeira debacle, but I'm going to take a little more time. New York and I have a very visceral relationship---I stare at its damn skyline for about 90% of my waking hours, and at the moment it feels like the Chrysler Building is a giant middle finger aimed right at me. I'm taking this personally. But lest you think this is purely a venting post, think again.

Much has been said of late about the Yankees bottomless purse strings. But every time another sports reporter parrots that line I wonder what numbers he's seen, what documents he has.

NYC had a lot of people riding in Bentleys on their way to bottle service the last couple years, but I don't assume they're all swimming in Scrooge MacDuck gold vaults. If we've learned anything from the current economic mess, it's that certain people have been living beyond their means, assuming the money would never stop coming in. But it did.

Do the Yankees have limitless funds? Are they completely untouched by the recession? Possibly. But ITM is going to find out. And that goes for the Red Sox, too.

Over the remainder of the offseason, ITM will be taking a detailed look at the finances of the Yankees and Red Sox. And we need your help. Organizations like these can be byzantine, and it takes more than one pair of eyes to figure them out sometimes. Any public documents you know about, send 'em over. We'll review them and let you know what we find. Check back in for regular updates. If there's a baseball bubble, it's better that we find out now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in seeing what comes out of this...

Custom Search
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation