Thursday, March 19

Injuries and the World Baseball Classic

As of right now we have no need to worry too much about the right side of our infield. Dustin Pedoria took batting practice today and a few ground balls at second base without any problems.

If you'll recall Pedroia felt a small pain in his oblique muscle during soft toss while at the World Baseball Classic. After that Pedroia was shutdown and sent back to Fort Myers to the Sox.

"I haven't felt it one time since I got back," he said. "I think the two days that I had off, actually three days that I had off, kind of calmed everything down. Every thing's been fine."

Kevin Youkilis came out today and said that the WBC was not to blame for his injured ankle and that he had been feeling sore for a few weeks. Not the greatest news if it is in fact true, part of me thinks Youk is covering for the WBC and Team America.

Red Sox, and boy wonder (when will he become a man wonder?) GM Theo Epstein said, "It was the right thing to do to shut him down for a few days, but it's nothing serious, nothing we're overly concerned with at all."

Youk added that if he had to play right now he could, the Sox are just being cautious, and why not? The season starts in a little more then 2 weeks, no need to push these guys. It's a long season and you don't win anything in April.

On the topic of the WBC and guys getting hurt, I'm not playing that card. They had a choice to play, ideally everyone returns healthy but I think we all knew there were going to be some casualties, unfortunately from the Sox this time around.

There doesn't seem to be a good time to play the WBC given the length of the regular season and a full month for the post season. I think they should shorten the season by 12 games and do the WBC in the middle of the season if they want to make it work, kind of like a prolonged all star break . Play it in two weeks when guys are in mid season shape, and you can still have pitch counts for the pitchers.

Of course someone is probably still going to get hurt and my plan is by no means perfect, but I thin it makes more sense then asking these guy to go from 0-100 mph in March. This is the 2nd year of the WBC and it certainly has its problems, like being televised on a station I have, but overall I like the upside of it.

2 comments:

Joe Murph said...

I also like the idea of a midseason tourney. Problem is that players are always saying that the relatively short all-star break is already a throw to their rhythm, so I suppose that would be the resistance. But it seems like it should have a lot of upside. Rhythm or no rhythm, a real rest seems warranted for a 160+ game season. And for the guys who play, they'll miss out on their rest, but likely would find other incentives. And, I agree, prob fewer injuries, and higher quality of play. Basically, you've got my support. Let's see what we can do.

Anonymous said...

A mid season tourney may have its faults, but it's a more healthy solution than starting cold in March.

I still don't see many players wanting to participate (mainly US players).

Custom Search
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation